What is Fentanyl Citrate Injection?
Fentanyl Citrate is an opioid analgesic. People suffering from sudden or breakthrough pain and those who are already taking the opioid medication round the clock for the pain caused by cancer, take this drug. It is known by other brand names also such as Actiq, Duragesic, Fentora.
Purchasing Fentanyl Citrate Injection:
You can buy Fentanyl Citrate Actiq from our online store. The product is shipped worldwide to our customers staying in various countries in the world.
Working of Fentanyl Citrate Injection:
Fentanyl Citrate has an analgesic impact on humans. It affects the brain and alters the way in which our body responds and reacts to the pain.
What are the Fentanyl Citrate injection indications?
- It is used as short-term analgesia during anesthetic periods, premedication, induction, and maintenance;
- In the immediate postoperative periods according to the need.
3.As an analgesic supplement in general or regional anesthesia. It is used concomitantly with neuroleptic as an anesthetic premedication, for anesthesia induction and as an adjunct in the maintenance of general and regional anesthesia.
- It is used as an anesthetic along with oxygen in selected high-risk patients such as those undergoing open heart surgery, complicated neurological or orthopedic procedures.
The dosage of Fentanyl Citrate injection:
It is necessary that trained persons should administer Fentanyl Citrate injection. There must be the availability of opioid antagonist and other resuscitative measures.
As a premedication, 50–100mcg (1–2mL) by IM inj can be administered 30–60 mins prior to surgery. A low dose is given for adjunct to general anesthesia which is 2mcg/kg; the moderate dose is 2–20mcg/kg and high dose is 20–50mcg/kg.
An adjunct to regional anesthesia is 50-100 mcg or 1-2 ml by IM inj or slow IV over 1–2 mins as per the need. 50-100 mcg/kg or 1-2 mL/kg is administered for general anesthesia with oxygen and as a muscle relaxant. The doses of about 150 mcg/kg are needed for certain cases such as open heart surgery, complicated neurological or orthopedic procedures.
A reduced dose is administered when the patient is older or debilitated. The dose adjustments are made through close monitoring in case of Concomitant use or discontinuation of CYP3A4 inhibitors or inducers.
Dosage for children:
This medicine is not given to children below the age of 2 years. It is used for induction and maintenance in children of 2-12 years in which 2-3 mcg/kg is used. Here also the doses are adjusted if there is a Concomitant use or discontinuation of CYP3A4 inhibitors or inducers.
1.For elderly and debilitated people, the initial dose must be adjusted appropriately because this is the dose which determines the further increments.
- It is necessary that the anesthetist should be familiar with psychological alterations when it is used to supplement certain forms of anesthesia
3.the pulmonary arterial pressure reduces with the use of tranquilizer along with Fentanyl, so this fact needs to be taken into consideration especially when the pulmonary arterial pressure is used for determining the final management of the patient.
- Care must be exercised while repositioning the patient as well as while moving him becasue there are chances of orthostatic hypotension.
- It is essential to routinely monitor the vital signs.
- When the neuroleptic agent is used along with fentanyl as an anesthetic premedication for inducing anesthesia or as an adjunct in the maintenance of general or regional anesthesia ECG monitoring is indicated.
- Proper post-operative monitoring is a need for enough spontaneous breathing before discharging the patient.
- If bradycardia occurs, it needs to be treated with atropine
- During pregnancy, it can be used only if the benefits outweigh the risks associated with it.
- It is necessary to exercise caution while when lactating women are administered this medicine.
- Its safety and efficiency are not known when administered in case of children below the age of 2years. It is better not to administer it on infants.
- It is not recommended for labor and delivery
Side effects of Fentanyl citrate injection:
Here is the list of side-effects that may occur on the administration of Fentanyl citrate injection:
1.The occurrence of life-threatening respiratory depression;
2.COPD, cor pulmonale
3.Decreased respiratory reserve
- Pre-existing respiratory depression
- There is potential neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome during pregnancy because of prolonged use.
8.Chances of abuse potential which needs monitoring
- Adrenal insufficiency.
- Head injury.
11.Increased intracranial pressure
12.The occurrence of brain tumors; monitor.
13.The occurrence of Seizure disorders.
- It is necessary to monitor for hypotension after initiation or dose titrations.
17.Biliary tract disease.
19.The occurrence of hypertension.
22.Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor vital signs routinely.
- You may experience some adverse reactions such as apnea, skeletal muscle rigidity, syncope.
- There is an increased risk of hypotension, respiratory depression, sedation with benzodiazepines or other CNS depressants such as non-benzodiazepine sedatives/hypnotics, anxiolytics, general anesthetics, phenothiazines, tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, antipsychotics, alcohol, other opioids. It is necessary to limit dosages or durations to the minimum with proper monitoring.
- During or within 14 days of MAOIs: not recommended. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, triptans, 5-HT3 antagonists, mirtazapine, trazodone, tramadol, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue); The case needs to be monitored and discontinued if suspected.
- You must avoid concomitant mixed antagonist opioids such as butorphanol, nalbuphine, pentazocine or partial agonist such as buprenorphine. They may reduce effects and precipitate withdrawal symptoms.
Getting Fentanyl Citrate injection prescription:
Depending on the need, the doctor can prescribe a Fentanyl Citrate injection for you. If you do not have the prescription because of any reason, then also you can get it from our online store. But make sure to get it administered by a skilled physician.